Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Less than 4 weeks to the USA XC Champs: Last week's training.

I'm happy to say that I'm finally feeling 100% after coming down with the flu. I was fortunate to not miss much training, and still managed a couple of good workouts this last week. I was a little worried stepping onto the track for 10 x 500 meters on Wednesday as I haven't run that fast since the summer, but it went surpsisingly well considering the lack of previous speed workouts and still feeling sick. While I was improving each day, I felt 100% by Saturday for the 10 mile cutdown tempo. I'm looking forward to a couple more weeks of hard training before starting to back off in preparation for the US XC Championships where I'll look to make my 5th world cross country team.

I received a request last week to share a week's long food log in my blog. While I do my best to eat well and meet all my needs as a runner, I do not keep a food journal as I think I would become too obsessed, possibly to a detrimental level. I will share what an average training day looks like in terms of diet.

Breakfast: Granola, sliced banana with either yogurt or almond milk, coffee, multivitamin about 2 hours before my first run

Run + either strength or drills and strides. Small snack between run and strength - trail mix, half or all of a Powerbar (Harvest or Protein Plus), or Powerbar Recovery drink mix.

Lunch: Often a sandwich or wrap with lean meat, cheese, and loaded with veggies. Side of steamed vegetables or crackers. Vitamin D, B-complex, C, and iron.

2nd run (short). Small post run snack. Usually trail mix or crackers

Dinner: Varies greatly, but my wife and I normally cook and generally focus on lean white meat or fish, although there certainly are exceptions. A side of grains (quinoa, couscous, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.), and a big mixed salad. Maybe some wine or beer depending on the night.

If I get hungry later, I may snack on leftovers from dinner, fruit, or a light dessert, but not an every night occurance. Calcium, magnesium, zinc blend.

I realize this isn't specific enough to be overly helpful, but as I said, I try to eat very well without obsessing to an unlealthy level. This will obviously vary if I have a workout that particular day, but you get the jist.

Feel free to check out last week's training below. Thanks again for reading, and follow me here on Twitter for more updates.

Week 8 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday Off – flu Off
0





Tuesday 11.5 5 + drills and strides 30 minutes 17





Wednesday 6 10 x 500 w/100 meter jog recovery (79-80)
17





Thursday 14 5 40 minutes 19





Friday 11.5 30 minutes + drills and strides
17





Saturday 10 miles tempo starting @ 5:10 and working down to 4:38 (4:56 average) Off
15.5





Sunday 18.5

18.5


Off

TOTAL


104



2 comments:

  1. Thank you Ryan. You definitely eat a very clean and balanced diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog Ryan.....Keep up the good work.

    http://danielgeislertri.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/festive-period-training-hard-and.html

    This is my most recent!

    ReplyDelete