Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Less than two weeks to the IAAF World XC Championships: Last week's training.

Gate River came and went quickly as big races always do. I am a bit disappointed with my 5th place finish this past weekend at the USA 15k Championships, but I ran as hard as I could on the day and left it all out there. I don't know exactly why I felt a bit sluggish, but I did. The heat and humidity were challenging, but it was challenging for everyone running on Saturday morning. The four athletes in front of me are excellent runners, and could have each won that race on a different day, so there was no shame there. My training has been going as well as it ever has, so I will simply count this as a slightly off day and push my focus to the World XC Championships on March 28th in Guiyang, China. I'd like to extend a big thanks to Richard Fannin, Doug Alred, and all the motivated
 volunteers for another excellent weekend of racing. It was nice to see Christo Landry recognized as the new 2012 Gate River champion as we were all given shirts featuring Yoda and an anti-doping slogan. There are few US Championship road races that haven't been affected by this issue over the last few years, and I think we all appreciated the message.

There isn't much to discuss in terms of training last week, as it was quite light heading into Gate River. As we're already less than two weeks out from the 12km XC race in China, there is really only time for one decent workout this week. I will take the time in between the two races to let all the quality training catch up in an effort to make my 5th World XC race the best of my career. Next week I'll share some memories regarding the 2013 USA Silver Medal team as well as discuss our goals for this year's team in China. Thanks again for reading, and feel free to check out last week's training below.

Week 17 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 11.5 5.5 40 minutes 17
Tuesday 5 8 x 1km @ 2:56-2:58 w/1 min rest + 6 x 200 @ 29-30 16.5
Wednesday 9 5 14
Thursday Off, travel to JAX 7 7
Friday 5 + drills and strides off 5
Saturday shakeout + race off 17
Sunday 9 off, travel to PDX 9
TOTAL 85.5

No comments:

Post a Comment