Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Less than 4 weeks to the US Outdoor Track Champs: Last week's training.

We're a week closer to the US Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, and I'm getting a little antsy looking forward at my last few weeks of training. My coach, Dave Smith, has continued to lean a bit toward strength at this point, and while I would like to get more workouts in at 10km pace, I know that I am only one or two workouts from where I want to be. Dave has always erred on the side of caution, and it's this attitude that has kept me running consistently for 10+ years. This has been the most beneficial aspect to our relationship; I want to push, Dave reigns me in. I completely trust his judgement, so as long as I am told to hold back, I am comfortable doing so. If I were coaching myself, I am sure I would be constantly surrounded by doubt and guilt over not training hard enough. There are no elite athletes with enough experience, patience, or talent that would be better off without coach, even if it is simply to prevent their competitve drive from ruining their season.

Last week consisted of a long mile repeat workout with short rest back on the grass. It ended up being an unusually warm day, so I was glad to go based on effort as opposed to trying to dial in times on the track. The 2 minute rest kept the reps under control, and I recovered quickly. We changed gears completely on Saturday and went with a workout to sharpen up and become a little more comfortable at 1500 pace as well as work on pace changes. The workout started with 3 x 200 meters at 1500 meter pace, which served more as warmup strides than anything else. I came off that in a 1km rep at 2:29 before moving on to 3 x 600 meter cutdown reps. The goal was to start the first 200 in 33-34 and progress to 30-31 and 28-29 on the final 200. The rest was 3 minutes between reps, so while the quick pace and speed changes didn't feel perfectly smooth, the workout overall did not put me into a hole.

Next up, I'll be looking at a light tempo followed by longer track repeats focused on the 10km distance. I can then start to focus on a 1500 meter tune-up race at the Portland Track Festival in just under 2 weeks from now. I may also come back and rabbit the 5km and turn the evening into a solid workout. More on the Portland Track Festival next week. Thanks again for reading, and feel free to check out last week's training below. Follow me here on Twitter for more updates.

Week 26 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 19 off 30 minutes 19
Tuesday 9 off 9
Wednesday 5 8 x mile on XC loop starting @ 4:46 down to 4:27 w/2 min rest 18
Thursday 11 5 40 minutes 16
Friday 11 + drills and strides 5 16
Saturday 3 x 200 @ 29-30, 1km @ 2:29, 3x600 cutdowns (34, 31, 29 200 splits) 6 40 minutes 15.5
Sunday 16.5 off 16.5
TOTAL 110

3 comments:

  1. If you have time to answer, I'd love to know what your "strength and drills" consists of.
    Thanks!

    ~Cody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cody,
      My drills consist of dynamic stretching, form drills, and jumping drills. My strength exercises are mostly body weight core and back exercises. I also add light free weights, med balls, and kettle bells for light arm and leg strength exercises. Unfortunately, there are tons of exercises I cycle through and I don't have video for most of them. Many of them are covered by Pascal Dobert and Sean Coster on YouTube. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

      Delete
  2. Do you need free Twitter Followers?
    Did you know you can get these AUTOMATICALLY AND TOTALLY FREE by registering on You Like Hits?

    ReplyDelete