Thursday, October 20, 2016

Less than 3 weeks to the TCS New York City Marathon: Last week's training

With the NYC Marathon nearing, it's time to put the finishing touches on a successful marathon training block. After last week's long run with tempo repeats, I started to feel tightness in my lower back that was concerning (felt like sacrum), and with NYC so close, I was not about to take any chances. I took 4 days in the pool and skipped the scheduled Fartlek for the week. I am likely overreacting as I did before with the quad tightness, but at this point I cannot be too careful. All the major workouts are in, and the easy mileage now is more for confidence and maintaining a routine than actually increasing fitness. With the help of the extra rest, I had a great 16 mile tempo this past Sunday, and the back feels great! I can't second guess whather the down time was necessary at this point, and I'm excited to still be on the path to a healthy and fit start on November 6th. This past year of three consecutive stress fractures has made me much more cautious but certainly not less hungry. 

The 16 mile tempo took place on the Fairmount loop in Portland, which is a very honest loop. There really isn't a flat point on this 3.5 mile course, so it is an exaggeration of what NYC will bring. On top of that, we had a nice wind/rain storm last weekend in the Pacific NW, so it was quite the battle. I made sure to keep the effort in line as this is not the time for racing, but I did fight to maintain a steady pace. I would like to think a 5:04 average on this day was worth much more, and it gave me a mental boost fighting the conditions and rain. 

I recently did an interview with Athletic Illustrated asking why I decided to run my third New York City Marathon. I like racing marathons without pacemakers. I realize, of course, that NYC is not the only marathon without pacemakers (not even the only US major), but I also love the challenges the course and weather can bring. I have said this before, but NYC is as close as I can come to tapping my cross country mindset at the 26.2 distance, and that's where my strength is. I toe the line without thinking about locking into a 4:58 pace, but only thinking about beating guys that I should have no business beating on other courses. Smart, tough running will take you a long ways in New York. This year will be no exception. 

Thanks again for reading, and feel free to check out last week's training below. Also, follow me on Twitter and stay tuned for an opportunity to win a pair of Brooks shoes and cool new piece of tech called Tune

Weeks to go: 4 AM PM Strength Mileage
Monday 90 minutes aqua jogging off 1 hour 0
Tuesday 1 hour aqua jogging 1 hour aqua jogging 0
Wednesday 90 minutes aqua jogging 40 minutes elliptical 40 minutes 0
Thursday 90 minutes aqua jogging  off 0
Friday 1 hour easy 1 hour aqua jogging 40 minutes 9.5
Saturday 12.5 6 18.5
Sunday 16 mile temp @ 5:04, hilly, rainy, windy off 20

6 comments:

  1. Nice work. Looking forward to rooting you on from MA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i am happy to know about With the NYC Marathon because this time i really want to participate thanks for sharing such kind of inspirational stuff with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our personal training solutions are customized to your lifestyle, ensuring that you can keep it up long-term. Personal Trainer servicing the West Palm Beach

    Fitness Trainer West Palm Beach

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well i am happy to know about With the NYC Marathon because this time i really want to participate thanks for sharing such kind of inspirational stuff with us net worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously plenty of awesome advice!
    Appreciate it! An abundance of posts.

    Also visit my site : 휴게텔
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete