Wednesday, March 28, 2018

3 weeks to the Boston Marathon: Last week's training

We're down to just under 3 weeks until the Boston Marathon. I'm down to my last few days of max volume which always feels like a curse and a blessing. It's nice to know the toughest weeks are behind you, but the last 2-3 weeks of tapering bring an unwarranted feeling that fitness is disappearing and anxiety sets in as the race gets closer. I will do my best to use that time to dial in travel logistics, nutrition, rehab, and race-day strategy in order to occupy my mind.

There was no long run in this 7 day period as I've decided to spread them out a little more during the final weeks to encourage recovery and quality. The next long run was Monday the 26th which will be posted in next week's bog. I was pleased overall with the training week as I hit 140 miles again while also nailing my 5 x 2 mile mid-week workout. The times aren't terribly impressive, but in the context of the volume and previous week's long run, it's a positive sign for my marathon fitness. It is very satisfying to be back to 20 miles a day while also feeling 100% healthy!

I'd also like to encourage everyone reading this to check out the revamped RunDoyen website. I know most people reading this like to get into the nitty gritty of training, and RunDoyen gives you the chance to connect with pro's with expertise in anything from the mile to the marathon. I've really enjoyed being a part of the process!

Thanks again for reading and feel free to check out last week's training below. Follow me here on Twitter for more updates.


    Monday 3/19/2018 AM: 14 PM: 6
    Tuesday 3/20/2018 AM: 14 PM: 6
    Wednesday 3/21/2018 AM: 5 x 2 mile @ 4:42 avg. pace, 2 min recovery PM: 5
    Thursday 3/22/2018 AM: 14 PM: 6
    Friday 3/23/2018 AM: 70 minutes + 12 x 200 meter hills PM: 6
    Saturday 3/24/2018 AM: 14 PM: 6

140 Sunday 3/25/2018 AM: 14 PM: 6

6 comments: